Death From Above

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Rome Total War battles

Moliat
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Rome Total War battles Empty Rome Total War battles

Post by Moliat Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:12 am

Rome Total War battles 197

Picture explanation
    All of the blue flags are mine (although I am only controlling one of the three armies they make up, seeing as there are too many units for a single army) while the Green and Red make up two Hard-difficulty-level computer-controlled enemy armies, and there was another red and another green approaching in the distance. So in total the battlefield was:

Starting conditions for the battle (for the interested)
    3x Scipii (Blue, that's me) armies against 2x Brutii (green computer) and 2x Julii (red) armies, each army containing approximately 1200 men. Luckily for me I had the tactical advantage of half the enemy army coming in as reinforcements, so their units would be very tired when they arrived. For Spartan (and anyone else having played some Total War game): the units I controlled had gold sword and gold shield along with 2 (of 3) V's of gold experience. I took care of 2 of the 4 enemy armies while my computer-controlled armies each took care of one enemy army each.

Battle detail specifics (for the highly interested)
    What ensued was 2 tired enemy armies approaching my highly organised, experienced and well-equipped Roman army. First the enemy melee cohorts were massacred by a rain of arrows, and those who got through the hailstorm were either killed by throwing javelins (each of my melee men tosses 2 javelins before fighting with his gladius, aka sword) or cut down by hand. As my archers were commanded to focus-fire the enemy cavalry once in range, they lost a lot of their numbers and were effectively destroyed. My cavalry ensued a two-proned attack where they attacked both flanks and routed 4 enemy cohorts. As their flanks fell my Praetorian Cohorts advanced and clashed into the middle while my cavalry started cutting down the enemy archers which were now unprotected. Both enemy armies had to devote forces from the middle to protect their archers, but before they got there my cavalry pulled back to rest and my archers started sending volleys of arrows against the moving enemy infantry as there were no longer any friendly units in danger of receiving friendly fire. Another quarter or so of the enemy army had been crushed. The rest pretty much consisted of slaughtering frightened cattle with a crushed morale, and soon the petty remains of 2 armies were routing, my cavalry (4 units of Praetorian Cavalry) was dispatched to cut them down. This opened the flanks of the other enemy armies currently engaged with my computer-controlled armies, so the rest was pretty much steamrolling of chopping down flanks.

Casualties list
    If my memory serves, the total casualties list was somewhere along the lines of:

My army: less than 100 men
    The two armies I fought: about 2300 casualties, 100 routed
    My two computer-controlled armies combined: about 800 casualties
    The two remaining enemy armies: about 2000 casualties, 400 routed

Share your battle stories!
    Falls
    Falls
    iI Duce
    iI Duce

Rome Total War battles Empty Re: Rome Total War battles

Post by Falls Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:25 am

On Rome: Total War, I used to like making a custom battle, and for my army, I would just have 300 Triarii spearmen, completely maxed out on all veterancy so they're tough as hell. Then, just have the opposite army be like 3000 peasant militia or something, and re enact the 300 spartans. lol. It was hilarous because it'd just be a semi-circle of spearmen, and masses of bodies all around. I wish I had a screenshot! Smile
    Moliat
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:46 am

Falls wrote:On Rome: Total War, I used to like making a custom battle, and for my army, I would just have 300 Triarii spearmen, completely maxed out on all veterancy so they're tough as hell. Then, just have the opposite army be like 3000 peasant militia or something, and re enact the 300 spartans. lol. It was hilarous because it'd just be a semi-circle of spearmen, and masses of bodies all around. I wish I had a screenshot! Smile

Haha, I once had a similar experience, though in campaign.

It was on hard difficulty, and I was fighting those God-awful Britains. I sent 2 units of maxed-out Praetorian Cohorts, 240 (or so) men combined, and attacked a British village defended by 2000 infantrymen. Swordmen, militia and spearmen.

My Praetorian Cohorts had been fighting in every battle I had played, and they were constantly reinforced and upgraded with better weaponry and armor. At the end of the battle, my 240 men had killed 1800 while taking around 20 casualties.
    Deffgrippa
    Deffgrippa

Post by Deffgrippa Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:14 am

I was about 2/3 of the way to winning the campaign on Both battle and campaign Very hard.
    Moliat
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:19 am

Anyone have Rome installed and unpatched, and want to play a game or two today? Smile
    Sp4
    Sp4

Post by Sp4 Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:38 pm

I once played as Brutii, conquered the Meditarreanernneennean area, made about 3m cash in 60 or so turns then started spamming Urban cohorts towards France etc...

The hardest part of that strategy was to get enough people to do this. I actually ended up recruiting thousands of peasants, putting them on ships and sending them to Greece, where my most upgraded cities were only to disband them again and turn them into Urbans.

-E- Incase MW2 counts as well, I once played as Scots, did the same I did as the Brutii but only around the Northern/Eastern Sea and started conquering Europe, exterminated everything from Portugal to Greece and bought most of Northern Africa before I got bored (and ze Germans declared war on me).
    Deffgrippa
    Deffgrippa

Post by Deffgrippa Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:06 pm

I would recommend installing the the SQPR Mod its worth it.
    L4N6Y

Post by L4N6Y Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:05 am

When I bought Rome Total War I decided I wanted to play my first battle as an online one as I had never played an RTS and wanted to see my natural aptitude for playing them. I entered a 2v2 battle on the basin map and being a complete fool I thought it would be a good idea to max out on the really cheap basic units and leave them untrained so as I could purchase more. So I positioned my men in the back corner of the map so I would have a chance to see the enemy army and form a plan. My ally was a rather experienced player, he upgraded a load of Greek spearmen things (don't recall their names) and positioned them in a circle around the top of the basin. The enemy who went for a lot of cavalry and archers with some basic infantrymen. Seeing that I was completely inexperienced, the enemy decided to bypass my ally on the top of the basin and come directly for me. Anticipating this my ally ordered me to bring all my units into the centre of his square and he would do his best to defend this spot. However as the enemy's horses and arrows could both travel faster than my men only about 50% of my army made it to the top of the hill. The well co-ordinated enemy then made a circle about half way up the hill and started firing arrows at us. At first we held our ground to see if they would make another move but after it was clear that they were just going to remain there and fire at us I came up with a plan. I would send my crappy infantry to ward off the archers out of range and then also try and draw in some cavalry and infantry for my ally to make some tasty horse meat kebabs on their spears. I ran back and forth several times, losing another 30-40% of my men but in turn tricking quite a few enemies to impale themselves on my trusted ally's men. As I had killed off the majority of the enemy archers they were powerless, there was a long stalemate, probably about 5 minutes or so and I decided I would make one last charge with my men to hopefully pressure the enemy into making a quick and bad decision to attack my ally. So I sent in all of my men, I killed a few enemies but not enough to make a big impact and lost all of my men apart from 2! There was then another stalemate followed by a huge swarm of enemy cavalry charging into the spearmen (and not to forget the all important 2 infantrymen of mine Very Happy ) Needless to say we kicked their ass in the final stand on that hill Smile It was my single most fun experience with any game!
    Deffgrippa
    Deffgrippa

Post by Deffgrippa Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:01 pm

I have never played Rome online i have tryed but because i have a modded version of Rome its pointless now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content