Death From Above

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Moliat
Max
I'm Mr Dubstep
Abahab
reclaimer_117
Assau1tKing
10 posters

L.A Noire

Assau1tKing
    Assau1tKing

L.A Noire Empty L.A Noire

Post by Assau1tKing Mon May 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Hey,
    So L.A Noire is out soon and I'am really excited about it. Anyone else looking foward to it ?
    I Know UnderaDyingsSun and Babykiller are ! Very Happy
    The graphics and gameplay look stunning and facial animation is out of this world.
    reclaimer_117
    reclaimer_117

L.A Noire Empty Re: L.A Noire

Post by reclaimer_117 Mon May 09, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm sure its gunna be awesome. But the real questions is whether or not it will have the intensity of oh, lets say, HEAVY RAIN!!!!!
    Abahab
    Abahab
    Shotgun Slut
    Shotgun Slut

Post by Abahab Mon May 09, 2011 2:34 pm

It has peaked my interest.
    I'm Mr Dubstep
    I'm Mr Dubstep

Post by I'm Mr Dubstep Mon May 09, 2011 2:45 pm

I got it preordered ages ago. cannot wait! Hopefully there is some kind of multiplayer or co-op and im most definitly gonna be playing with UnderADyingSun!
    Max
    Max
    Mike Rowe
    Mike Rowe

Post by Max Mon May 09, 2011 2:53 pm

Yes'm.
    Moliat
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat Mon May 09, 2011 3:00 pm

See Ya L8r H8r (is there a nickname we can use? ...), please remove one of the pictures in your signature. If you keep the larger one, find a smaller one. It's way too large at the moment.
    I'm Mr Dubstep
    I'm Mr Dubstep

Post by I'm Mr Dubstep Mon May 09, 2011 3:50 pm

There you go Moliat, all fixed. and you can just call me by my real name: Argo, or just Hater
    Falls
    Falls
    iI Duce
    iI Duce

Post by Falls Tue May 10, 2011 3:40 am

I'm def excited for this game. I'm gonna wait for a review or two before I pick it up, but I def want to give it a shot.
    ChinaDarwin44
    ChinaDarwin44

Post by ChinaDarwin44 Fri May 13, 2011 7:43 am

It's gonna be a visual delight like no other...GTA, but better I'm hoping. 3 Discs on xbox...so its gonna be epic! And that's not even counting DLC and Social Club stuff.
    Assau1tKing
    Assau1tKing

Post by Assau1tKing Fri May 13, 2011 8:12 am

I know right ! It should be an epic game with great graphic and a deep intresting story.
    I also read in the news that L.A Noir was played at a film festival as a 60 min viewing and that was one investigation. Get it pre-ordered men it's gonna be one hell of a game. Very Happy
    wreckeddiehard
    wreckeddiehard

Post by wreckeddiehard Thu May 26, 2011 11:46 pm

i have the game and it is AWESOME!
    riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh Fri May 27, 2011 7:21 am

Yeah, pretty cool. Been playing it.

Mildly disappointed though. They sacrificed a LOT IMO, for the whole facial thingy; there's not much in the way of true open-sandbox play (like GTA or Red Dead or Assassins) and you go more or less linearly from one investigation to the next.

I would have liked it more if you had to work on multiple cases at the same time, have random street crimes (they're all scripted, in case you didn't figure that out, and there's a finite amount of them).

And I think the driving SUCKS. Crappy physics, etc.
    Falls
    Falls
    iI Duce
    iI Duce

Post by Falls Fri May 27, 2011 11:41 am

I kind of expected that kind of thing, ria. But I think this game is the perfect platform for endless and awesome DLC.

Real question though, worth buying?
    ChinaDarwin44
    ChinaDarwin44

Post by ChinaDarwin44 Sat May 28, 2011 8:58 am

riafomh wrote:Yeah, pretty cool. Been playing it.

Mildly disappointed though. They sacrificed a LOT IMO, for the whole facial thingy; there's not much in the way of true open-sandbox play (like GTA or Red Dead or Assassins) and you go more or less linearly from one investigation to the next.

I would have liked it more if you had to work on multiple cases at the same time, have random street crimes (they're all scripted, in case you didn't figure that out, and there's a finite amount of them).

And I think the driving SUCKS. Crappy physics, etc.

It's exactly how I feel, too linear. You always solve the case, no moral decisions to make that affect the game...would've been nice to have some consequences or "real" rewards for finding shit out and solving...

Map is huge! I just finished disc 1 and it feels like I never saw much in the game...maybe its too huge where you spend so much time driving here and there you never get know any place or enjoy its looks...

I've been using a pistol most of he game, picked up a different gun twice, but its real simple and easy to aim. Lots of scenes where you chase suspects, sometimes you have to shoot, sometimes tackle...never feels like a choice, usually just scripted, with just XP points gained no matter what happens

It's got some great ideas and presentation, but it's a bit too easy and just repeating the same thing over and over....its like you're just living a story that's already been written and there's no way to change the ending...I can only play so much before I'm bored...would have been nice to mix it up and have cases from all around...or atleast a choice here or there about it...
    riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh Sat May 28, 2011 10:19 am

Yeah, it's more of a finely scripted movie where you happen to playing the starring role, but like you're trapped in the actor's body and have to act each scene the way he does (I'd like to make my own choices sometimes).

Worth buying? If you get off on the novelty of some of the ground-breaking stuff they did, then absolutely yes. Worth it to me just for that reason; I wanted to see (and DO appreciate) what they did with the facial stuff (you actually watch people as you interview/interrogate them and have to choose whether you think they are telling the truth, you doubt them, or accuse them of outright lying; you'd better have evidence to back you up - this is the only real 'choice' part of the game, and it does affect outcome in each case).

But then, I'm a collector kind of guy. I mean, I have 'Deadliest Catch' for the X-Box 360 (where you buy/manage your boat, hire crew, plot course and drop pods, move on, drop more, come back and pick up old pods, have medical emergency onboard, call the Coast Guard, etc, and just like real fishing, you can spend hours doing virtually nothing, or the same repetitive thing over and over) and even though I'll only ever dust it off and play once in a blue moon (or never), I would never part with it just because there is absolutely nothing else out there like it. It's unique.

But as far as gameplay goes... Well, once I'm finished L.A. Noire, it's unlikely that I'd play it again.
    I'm Mr Dubstep
    I'm Mr Dubstep

Post by I'm Mr Dubstep Sat May 28, 2011 10:24 am

I agree wih ria 99% but I will most definitlely still play it after I finish it. But probably won't after I get 100% completion and all achievments. Its such a unique game, people need to stop comparing LA Noire to past R* games because its a completely new direction for not only them, but the entire gaming industry.
    riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh Sat May 28, 2011 12:59 pm

^^Agreed H8r.

I did expect it to be more 'Rockstar familiar', but when you take that out of the equation (like just pretend someone else made it), then it's just its own unique piece.
    I'm Mr Dubstep
    I'm Mr Dubstep

Post by I'm Mr Dubstep Sat May 28, 2011 1:01 pm

I completely agree. Free roam is what makes rockstar famous and LA Noire lacks in that's aspect, but everything else makes up for it tenfold
    Falls
    Falls
    iI Duce
    iI Duce

Post by Falls Sat May 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Picked this up today and I'm a couple hours into it. I have to say, its pretty great! The new facial movement stuff is phenomenal. I suck at catching people at lying though. >Sad
    I'm Mr Dubstep
    I'm Mr Dubstep

Post by I'm Mr Dubstep Sat May 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Yeah falls it is insanely difficult at some points. I feel your pain
    riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh Sat May 28, 2011 3:38 pm

LOOK AT YOUR EVIDENCE LOOK AT YOUR EVIDENCE LOOK AT YOUR EVIDENCE LOOK AT YOUR EVIDENCE !!!

In pretty much EVERY conversation there is some piece of 'evidence' that you can use to call someone on a 'lie'.

Problem is, some lies/evidence is so obtuse that it's nigh on impossible to see the connection, or the person in question is not the perpetrator (such as the victim especially) you don't really think of them in 'lying' terms.
    Falls
    Falls
    iI Duce
    iI Duce

Post by Falls Sun May 29, 2011 2:25 pm

I ALWAYS DO!!!

I just suck at it I guess. Even with my gf helping, (whos a very smart girl) We're still wrong sometimes, which is insanely frustrating to me. I get sooooooo effing pissed when I get a question wrong and her and I both are like "That's bullshit!"
    riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh Sun May 29, 2011 5:00 pm

Yeah, that's cause it has weird dots to connect sometimes.
    For instance (not necessarily a real example):

Girl (obviously not telling something): "I can't remember, it's too difficult."
    Detective (despite evidence suggesting sexual abuse): *TRUTH* "That's okay, I know it can be difficult, but anything can help us to find the men that did this to you."
    Girl: *Upwards chiming music indicating CORRECT answer* "I remember the Mermaid?"
    *Clue/Evidence/Location regarding a 'Mermaid' opens up for you*

You'd think 'doubt' or 'lie' would be the case here, with her ripped panties as your evidence, but nooo....

But you see, she's the victim here....
    Abahab
    Abahab
    Shotgun Slut
    Shotgun Slut

Post by Abahab Sun May 29, 2011 5:56 pm

Well I'd assume it'd be true that its difficult to remember being drugged and raped?
    ChinaDarwin44
    ChinaDarwin44

Post by ChinaDarwin44 Sun May 29, 2011 7:59 pm

See Ya L8r H8r wrote:I agree wih ria 99% but I will most definitlely still play it after I finish it. But probably won't after I get 100% completion and all achievments. Its such a unique game, people need to stop comparing LA Noire to past R* games because its a completely new direction for not only them, but the entire gaming industry.

I thought the same thing from all the hype, but once you sit down with it, you see its so much like Red Dead or GTA, that you can't help compare it. IF they had gone a different direction and made it feel less like those, b/c it certainly looks like them from every perspective, then it could've been "revolutionary."

As far as I'm concerned, they have some great facial scan technology, its great recognizing the people that went into its production, but this isn't a game I'll be getting DLC for. I think there is substantial room to improve and make it a game in its own right, but as it is, its not all its hyped up to be.

For all those that are repeating the marketing rhetoric of how game changing this game is, could someone elaborate for me on what, besides the facial scan tech, does this game have to offer? Additionally, what games could utilize this beyond aesthetic reasons, without ripping off their Truth, Lie, Doubt model? I see some improved graphics, but I'd rather have an immersive story and narrative then just solving crimes and responding to incidents in the same way, over and over again.

I was like everyone else when I first started it, but after a while, you just see it how it is...GTA/red dead clone, minus the fun stuff, added with some Interviews...hardly enough to make up for its shortcomings.

While this game was published by Rockstar, I think they tipped their hands to heavily in the development and gave it things it didn't really need....Seriously? 1940's LA, and you don't even get to see it...lots of landmarks, but no crimes there...just driving by and hold B...There's a huge world thats there for no other reason than a pissing contest...Oblivion has 100's of square miles on its map, but there's shit to do! LA Noire, thus far through Disc 1, has you at one police station, solving murders on the traffic and homocide desk, driving the same car, don't bother getting the secret ones b/c you'll just lose them once you do a mission....not worth driving back across the map for...(I've been in over 60 of the 95 cars, but there's no reason to drive them, for the game chase scenes you have to use the police car...so why the secret cars? Can't use them in missions and you lose them after you restart b/c you don't have a home or place to save cars....I guess Rockstar was worried about it being too much like its other games, but they did it just enough to leave people wanting the whole package.

This is actually the second LA Noire game, originally on PS2..anyone play it or know much about it?

The same pistol so far, no upgrades...some suits that make no difference (Thought the social club suit would help, but I haven't even fired a shot gun yet, and used a machine gun on 1 mission, then you lose them and are back to a pistol) Also, you can't even control when you pull out your pistol, instead its a choice the game makes for you...sometime you run them down, sometimes you shoot...why couldn't I choose? The other suits are there but unnecessary, unlike red dead....Why have them and perk them some, without fully utilizing them?

Its as though this game just stole or borrowed some great parts of RockStar games and added its own things, hoping it would be enough...turns out it was enough to get noticed and people lost in the hype, but I doubt it'll have the following of other Rockstar games...

Something I just thought of, I know its easy to find evidence etc, they mark it for you and the rumble in the controller gives it away, but in this game I could skip the evidence collection and just go straight to questioning...even if I fuck up all the questions, you can still solve the crime... There's been only one case so far where you had to choose who you would charge with two suspects...it was a good case with the police chief riding you for his own agenda, but the other cases have been shallow in comparison...

I think RAIN on PS3 was a much better CSI game and Rockstar originals are better Sandbox and less linear, whereas LA Noire seems to borrow just enough from each of these to leave you wanting the real thing. It's only redeming factor is the facial recognition and even that's more looks and less necessary for completing the game than the other aspects. With so many years in development, a 2nd try at the same game, support from Rockstar, it should've been a perfect 10. It has all the ingredients there, looks like it, but just doesn't play like it...I'd give it an 8 at most.

I'd love to play some more, but I can't find a reason...don't need the suits, intuition points, or secret cars, so why worrying about leveling up? Forget mapping paths on the social club, when everyone is taking the same patch, just at a different pace. I'm sure I'll play it again, but I was dissappointed it didn't live up to all the hype and expectations.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:55 am