Fender's The Art of Flanking

Moliat
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Fender's The Art of Flanking Empty Fender's The Art of Flanking

Post by Moliat on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:09 am

I'm going to link it here because it's full of good advice, most of which we already use, but it's a good reminder of how to flank and more importantly: how to avoid getting flanked yourself.

http://www.gamereplays.org/badcompany2/portals.php?show=page&name=bc2-strategies-art-of-flanking
    Article provided by GameReplays

Last edited by Moliat on Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total

You smell that? Napalm, son. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like... victory!
    - Colonel Kilgore (1st Air Cavalry), 'Apocalypse Now!'
    riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Fender's The Art of Flanking Empty Re: Fender's The Art of Flanking

Post by riafomh on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:24 am

Good article.

Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:46 am

I nag about most of it in-game, but perhaps it would be good to see a summary for once, like this article Smile

You smell that? Napalm, son. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like... victory!
    Forum Owner
    Forum Owner

Post by Forum Owner on Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:36 am

Feel free to provide feedback in the discussion topic! Smile
    riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:26 pm

One good point that they hit on that I think gets easily overlooked is that it is the 'fixing force' that sets you up for flanking in the first place. The 'fixing force' draws the enemies fire (and attention) which allows for flanking to be possible (or more possible). I think people often tend to 'flank' before the 'fixing force' is in place.

In fact, establishing a fixing force can be the set-up for the flank, and if we coordinate this in our attacks then our flanking maneuvers will be more effective.

Ironically enough, I think I may have been inadvertently doing this with smoke. I have been using 'distraction smoke' quite effectively lately, especially when I find myself in a game of hardcore alone against 2 or 3 guys.

I fire the smoke along the 'front line' to one side or another, and then wheel quickly in a big circle around (and away from) the smoke I just popped. I usually find myself either flanking or (enveloping? - I'm just one guy...) behind the enemy, who has squared off with the smoke clouds as though the smoke clouds were the fixing force.
    Forum Owner
    Forum Owner

Post by Forum Owner on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:12 am

Smoke is a hit and miss, the important thing people to remember when using it, is that it obscures the fuck out of you and the enemy. Mind you, your pretty good with it. You manage to use smoke heaps and not obscure too badly (its unavoidable sometimes), but I prefer to sneak often rather than smoke. People tend to get paranoid with smoke and throw motion mines towards it.

Learning to observe where the enemy is pointing is a good thing to do. Obvious things like a MCOM being armed draws enemies behind it and is an awesome time to sneak behind.

One thing I thought of last night was a specific use of the UAV. This tactic probably isn't practical, just thought it was cool.

If you have enemies that are solidly locking you out of an area, using the UAV + Alt Weapon and just make your existence known to the enemy by shooting the fuck out of them. They'll almost always try and shoot it down, which is when your squad pops up and fucks them up.
    Moliat
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:40 am

Crush wrote:If you have enemies that are solidly locking you out of an area, using the UAV + Alt Weapon and just make your existence known to the enemy by shooting the fuck out of them. They'll almost always try and shoot it down, which is when your squad pops up and fucks them up.

This is by all means doable, but we will still need a fixing force present with their rifles as the UAV will not hold for long, and the pilot might accidentally start swaying it in the wrong direction: towards the flanking force. Regardless, I say we try it. We need to improve our flanking and preventing flanking, so I say we give viable tactics a thorough shot.

As for smoke, I've always said it's heavily underrated. It's good for both covering purposes, and decoys, like you use it Ria. If used as a decoy to pretend as if a force is advancing through it, the flanking force needs to move around and flank very fast. Immediately the smoke will draw a lot of attention, but when no or little fire comes through it, experienced/smart players will smell that something is up, and enemy noobs will simply lose interest and start wandering aimlessly about again.

alzatea
    alzatea

Post by alzatea on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:45 am

I try to do these tactics when I was playing against the DFA team but failed because I did not have a fixed force so I got flanked by moliat several times which sucks. Definitely need a fixed force!!
    Max
    Max
    Mike Rowe
    Mike Rowe

Post by Max on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:47 pm

Tanks or helis are attention whores, they can serve the purpose of fixer very nicely.

Clan Leader

Post by Moliat on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Large or noise things often do, even smoke can work as a fixing force if the flanking force is quick.

riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:53 am

This is good, guys...

We're starting to explore some good concepts here on several threads, and not just the main idea, but the 'sub-elements' as well (for instance here we aren't just talking about flanking, but also about the fixed force).

I think it's important to notice that there's many possibilities where all tactics are concerned, and being open to all of them and not 'stuck' on any one particular method will make us more versatile on the battlefield.

So here I think we have discovered that there are several ways to create a Fixed Force (whether a front line of infantry, or a distracting vehicle, or smoke, etc....). Understanding these as the 'trigger' to begin the flanking maneuver can help us to realize the 'initiative moment' and get the jump on our opponents.

Timing and coordination. If the Flankers start too soon, the enemy is likely to catch them. If the Fixed Force is taking too long to establish while the Flankers are waiting around to go, then the same is likely. If the Flankers are too slow to act when the Fixing Force is first establishing, they will lose their best opportunity to attack a distracted enemy. You get the idea.

Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:21 pm

riafomh wrote:
    Timing and coordination. If the Flankers start too soon, the enemy is likely to catch them. If the Fixed Force is taking too long to establish while the Flankers are waiting around to go, then the same is likely. If the Flankers are too slow to act when the Fixing Force is first establishing, they will lose their best opportunity to attack a distracted enemy. You get the idea.

This was truly apparent tonight. We suffered from poor coordination between our fixing and flanking forces, which lead to failed attacks time and again. In the end when we had only 7 tickets left we just decided to go all in with everything, and amazingly we barely pushed through. In general however our attacks should not have succeeded since you had coordinated a far better defense than we did, and our flanking-and-fixing forces coordination was far from sufficient.

riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh on Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:55 pm

Moliat wrote:
    riafomh wrote:

This was truly apparent tonight. We suffered from poor coordination between our fixing and flanking forces, which lead to failed attacks time and again. In the end when we had only 7 tickets left we just decided to go all in with everything, and amazingly we barely pushed through. In general however our attacks should not have succeeded since you had coordinated a far better defense than we did, and our flanking-and-fixing forces coordination was far from sufficient.

Funny, Moliat, I thought you did very well. It's hard to effectively set up both the Fixing Force and a Flanking Force with such small numbers - which is why you did so much better in the latter part of the map where it's all close quarters urban door-to-door stuff and much easier to get around us and hide inside/behind buildings/hills etc.

Smart move also bringing up your tanks TOGETHER, as so often they get used (and destroyed) individually. We often engaged the first tank to show up and "blowing our wad" on it and then realizing 'oh shit' that the 2nd tank was rolling in (while waiting helplessly to reload our RPGs). The 1st tank was a great distraction for the 2nd.

Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:03 am

riafomh wrote:
    Smart move also bringing up your tanks TOGETHER, as so often they get used (and destroyed) individually. We often engaged the first tank to show up and "blowing our wad" on it and then realizing 'oh shit' that the 2nd tank was rolling in (while waiting helplessly to reload our RPGs). The 1st tank was a great distraction for the 2nd.

While it provided a good distraction, the spotters on your flanks made any attempt to move in on foot futile, and the tanks never got to achieve much due to the concentrated AT efforts. If we hadn't all marched in at once at the end, we would never had won. But then again, alternating tactics is key, so I guess even blunt tactics suffice occasionally :p

riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:22 am

Absolutely, sir.

One thing you're good at for sure, is changing it up all the time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:22 am