Death From Above

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
gdead65
XIIIXIIIXIIIXI(Bob)
UnderADyingSun
IrishKing
Lord of Beaver
KennyMcKillmick
Moliat
TheHellKat
riafomh
13 posters

Hey you whiners out there

riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Hey you whiners out there Empty Hey you whiners out there

Post by riafomh Mon May 30, 2011 4:24 pm

This is an excerpt from a Discussion Tread regarding some of the new Trialists, and wannabee Trialists:

riafomh wrote:Yeah, they must all have become Admin/Vet/SC friendly or something, 'cause I never hear shit anymore when I'm on with any of them, or at least so very short that it doesn't count.

So how do we get them to make that standard practice?

One of you 'regulars' should just outright tell them that we've noticed that they stop when around Admins and such, but continue with the riff-raff; they need to make their disciplined chat SOP.

And tell them that we Admins are aware of it; stuff funnels up to us; they're not fooling anyone.
    TheHellKat
    TheHellKat

Hey you whiners out there Empty Re: Hey you whiners out there

Post by TheHellKat Mon May 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Im not sure if this is directed at me... I know I have 'whined' on occasion, although I do make a point of trying not to.

If this is directed at me in any way, then I would like to apologise for any behavour that I have exhibited that is innapropiate and/or unacceptable.
    Moliat
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat Mon May 30, 2011 5:35 pm

Not saying this topic applies to you, but:
    Apologies are all nice and dandy, but we really want is to see it changed on the Battlefield. That's the real apology; improving.
    TheHellKat
    TheHellKat

Post by TheHellKat Mon May 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Understood, I shall endevour to work harder at keeping a positive outlook on the battlefield.
    Moliat
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat Mon May 30, 2011 5:50 pm

That's not to say your apology is not appreciated, however.
    KennyMcKillmick
    KennyMcKillmick
    You Killed Kenny!
    You Killed Kenny!

Post by KennyMcKillmick Mon May 30, 2011 5:59 pm

Hellkat this is not directly aimed towards you, we have multiple trialists playing all nice and sweet when we admins are there, and get there "real" personalty when they are playing with regular members ..
    TheHellKat
    TheHellKat

Post by TheHellKat Mon May 30, 2011 6:14 pm

Ok Kenny, I know its not me then, if I have something to say, i'd rather say it while an admin is present, at least that way they will hear the message for themselves rather than a second hand account.

I will freely admit that I can, at times, get a little cranky. Usually when I am either tired and/or stressed as both of these things commonly give me headaches and that tends to not put me in the best of moods, generally I do try to keep a positive outlook when playing since I have found that when I don't the game becomes the opposite of fun.

If I feel myself getting too stressed or disheartened I will typically step away from the game for 5-10 minutes to calm myself down and get my thoughts back into a positive mindset, also there is the small matter that when I play and im not positive my ingame abality suffers as a result so its best for me to play positively.
    KennyMcKillmick
    KennyMcKillmick
    You Killed Kenny!
    You Killed Kenny!

Post by KennyMcKillmick Mon May 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Don't worry about that, I can't recall anyone having it any different.

The problem we are facing is people who do this continually
    Lord of Beaver
    Lord of Beaver

Post by Lord of Beaver Mon May 30, 2011 6:45 pm

I never really played with a tactical team, so i tend to bitch and complain a lot. I know, there is no saying i dont, and if you do, then your lieing. I tend to be quiet at times too. Its just a matter of knowing what to say and what not to say on the coms and keeping it that way. I think a lot of us fault from this, even some DFA members at times. We all just have to remember, we all are in the same game, we know whats going on, we dont need to be screaming "HE'S F**KING IN THE BUSH STILL OMG!!!!" cuz we all probably died from him too.

I admit, im working on realizing that im on the mic with people and not just listening through the headset. I used to scream and cuss people when some bush wookie killed me 5 times cuz he is camping as far as he can in the back of their spawn. I think a lot of us trialists may feel the same way that we didnt always communicate over live mics and its a little different when we have people there listening.
    riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh Mon May 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Understandable.

When you've gone for so long with only your own voice in your ears, you're used to yelling out in your living room, speaking out loud the shout in your mind; it becomes habit, and you tend to still 'think out loud' sometimes.

Now stop it, all of you.

So for each of you (whoever you are), this is directed not only at you; but it is also directed only at you. (Which means that indirectly, it is directed exactly at you...)
    IrishKing
    IrishKing

Post by IrishKing Mon May 30, 2011 8:11 pm

I usually shut off my mic and do my rant then turn it back on when I get aggravated with the game, but in my point of view that is rare. However, if I have been whining a lot just tell me then and there and I will stop.
    UnderADyingSun
    UnderADyingSun

Post by UnderADyingSun Mon May 30, 2011 11:32 pm

Excessive complaining has an overall effect on morale, it certainly does so for me. I know if I hear it to excess, I just drown everyone out and tend to lose focus.

Ria, you're right, it is the responsibility of members to nip these things in the butt. It's for the benefit of our team, and furthermore damages our interpretation of you, the trialists.

Anybody seriously applying to this clan should consider that. Granted, I'm one of the more relaxed players, but make no mistake, if I miss the observation somebody else will catch it. I'm no saint either, the extent of my frustrations are usually audible in the form of a random f' bomb, or wtf, which I'm still trying to work on.

Point being, be mindful, and respectful.
    XIIIXIIIXIIIXI(Bob)
    XIIIXIIIXIIIXI(Bob)

Post by XIIIXIIIXIIIXI(Bob) Tue May 31, 2011 2:08 am

Everyone has their moments of rage here and there. I admit to losing"it" and going on rampage in one particular game of rush(Cold war as I reacll) when i got knifed by the same guy 12 times in two consecutive games (yes TWELVE).My only consolation is the fact that rest of the squad was in the same state of mind having received the same treatment, so f-bombs were flying left,right and centre.
    Bottom line is, it's just a game so treat it as such. Me, if i'm too pished off to carry on effectively - have a quick smoke and I'm chilled as a bald mammoth.
    gdead65
    gdead65
    GD
    GD

Post by gdead65 Tue May 31, 2011 3:18 am

I prefer to keep much of this type of drama behind the scenes. If I notice excessive complaining and non productive chatter, I will send the prospective member a PM to try to be a bit more productive on comms. If behavior does not change, the best way to speak out is to vote 'NO' to full membership.
    Yes It is only a game...so Yes lets have fun and not complain about it! This weekend was about the worse I have seen in terms of complainers, even to the point where the GAME became un-enjoyable....Its ok to complain a bit here and there but to constantly go on and on and on and on and on and on........I will make it a habit in the future to kick anyone in my party who demonstrates this type of attitude.

I have a simple motto here at work "dont come to me with complaints and problems, come to me with potential solutions and what you are going to do about it..."
    KennyMcKillmick
    KennyMcKillmick
    You Killed Kenny!
    You Killed Kenny!

Post by KennyMcKillmick Tue May 31, 2011 4:28 am

The thing is, some people, members and trialists, tend not to do this when admins are online.
    Let me make one thing clear.
    The ONLY difference, between members and admins is this.
    We do more stuff IN the clan FOR the clan (like recruitment, webdesign, fraggnation, trialists).
    Other then that, we are just members, and our votes in application discussions, or trialists discussions, weigh in just as much as any other vote.

We admins, are NOT the boss .. !
    Moliat
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat Tue May 31, 2011 5:48 am

KennyMcKillmick wrote:
    We admins, are NOT the boss .. !

*cough*

Seriously though, the squad captains are the officers on the field, the ones in charge. The admins are, as Kenny say, extra hard-working for DFA by doing a lot more work on the forums. In the end however it does not matter. For while admins do have more authority simply due to their role on the forums, the issue we are addressing is that some tend to mask their real behaviour when they see an admin or squad captain in the party. Ignoring the technicalities of who are really the "people with power", the problem we need to sort is simply the whining in-game. While I expect all squad captains to be direct with people reducing morale, I myself say "Stop bitching and start doing something about it" when it is called for, but there is no reason other DFA members can't remind each other (and trialists) that they are whining when they do. If they have the right teamplay spirit, they will hear this and know to stop.
    riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh Tue May 31, 2011 6:57 am

Yeah, it's the VOTING MEMBERS who have the power (for Trialists to pass), so merely being on good behavior around the Admins and such won't help you when it comes time for all those 'regular' members to vote...
    STORMTROOPER729
    STORMTROOPER729

Post by STORMTROOPER729 Tue May 31, 2011 8:53 am

Everyone bitches, moans and complains. Thats life. As the commercial says, "don't get mad, get glad!" Now go grab a trash bag and pull it over the head of the guy that pissed you off. Bush Punch
    mobber21
    mobber21

Post by mobber21 Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:55 am

This is a very good point to make to potential applicants, trialists, members, and members overall. We should all make it a point to tell people what they are doing wrong when they are doing it, i.e. moaning like a filipino whore via mics. I myself haven't made it a point to do so, but I will make an effort from this point on to remind people cut out the excessive bitching.
    Lord of Beaver
    Lord of Beaver

Post by Lord of Beaver Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:55 am

This (i hope) applies to friends that play with us as well. I tend to see that friends of clan continually are in there bitching about whats happening in game. If you dont like whats happening, if you dont like dieing, then get yourself a Wii and play some wii bowling instead. Its a shooting game, your not invincible, your going to die. We all do it. Would like to see temp removal from the party if people cant control themselves after a warning.

Basically, if things arnt going in your favor, your bullets seem to be switched with gummy bears, they seem to have the jump on you and some aim bot and you cant do anything but spawn and die, turn your mic off, scream your lungs out and possibly chuck your controller across the room. Then, settle down, reconnect your controller cuz your batteries obviously fell out, grab a beer and a smoke and chillax for a minute and then come back in and relax.

I tend to do this, minus the throwing of controller and it seems to help me. The more you try and do good and the more you get frustrated, the more your going to screw up and get pissed and continue to whine. We need coms clear for important info, not about some guy thats killed you in the same spot 5 times (maybe take a different route...) we need the coms for 3-5 second direction orders of where you got killed, or where there are enemies or who needs ammo or medic. Thats another thing that i see happening, lengthy explanations of where people are. keep it simple and make it easy. 'I got killed by a guy in that building behind the one to your left of the medic that is shooting out of the top of the green building in the west across the water", is NOT a good way to communicate. "Medic, second story, red top 2 story east window, west of the road" is a good way to state it. (This was our SOP overseas if we hit contact it was less than 5 seconds for the ID of enemy contact, and seemed to work well at keeping coms clear for info. Was also the SOP for talk in the trucks for convoys)

Just keep the coms clean too, i hear too much of "F**K HE KILLED ME" "F**K THIS TEAM SUCKS" "F**K HE'S STILL THERE CAN SOMEONE KILL HIM". Im not saying i dont do this, i swear like a sailor. Just its nice to see that a mature group of people can be mature about our talk and keep it down to atleast a minimum.

And yes i do like to type a lot and say what i think would benefit the group as a whole. if you read all the way down, thanks =] Just my .02
    ChinaDarwin44
    ChinaDarwin44

Post by ChinaDarwin44 Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:10 pm

Lord of Beaver wrote:This (i hope) applies to friends that play with us as well. I tend to see that friends of clan continually are in there bitching about whats happening in game. If you dont like whats happening, if you dont like dieing, then get yourself a Wii and play some wii bowling instead. Its a shooting game, your not invincible, your going to die. We all do it. Would like to see temp removal from the party if people cant control themselves after a warning.

Basically, if things arnt going in your favor, your bullets seem to be switched with gummy bears, they seem to have the jump on you and some aim bot and you cant do anything but spawn and die, turn your mic off, scream your lungs out and possibly chuck your controller across the room. Then, settle down, reconnect your controller cuz your batteries obviously fell out, grab a beer and a smoke and chillax for a minute and then come back in and relax.

I tend to do this, minus the throwing of controller and it seems to help me. The more you try and do good and the more you get frustrated, the more your going to screw up and get pissed and continue to whine. We need coms clear for important info, not about some guy thats killed you in the same spot 5 times (maybe take a different route...) we need the coms for 3-5 second direction orders of where you got killed, or where there are enemies or who needs ammo or medic. Thats another thing that i see happening, lengthy explanations of where people are. keep it simple and make it easy. 'I got killed by a guy in that building behind the one to your left of the medic that is shooting out of the top of the green building in the west across the water", is NOT a good way to communicate. "Medic, second story, red top 2 story east window, west of the road" is a good way to state it. (This was our SOP overseas if we hit contact it was less than 5 seconds for the ID of enemy contact, and seemed to work well at keeping coms clear for info. Was also the SOP for talk in the trucks for convoys)

Just keep the coms clean too, i hear too much of "F**K HE KILLED ME" "F**K THIS TEAM SUCKS" "F**K HE'S STILL THERE CAN SOMEONE KILL HIM". Im not saying i dont do this, i swear like a sailor. Just its nice to see that a mature group of people can be mature about our talk and keep it down to atleast a minimum.

And yes i do like to type a lot and say what i think would benefit the group as a whole. if you read all the way down, thanks =] Just my .02

I think the last time I chucked a controller across the room was when I broke a super nintendo controller...my dad swiftly beat me with it, and I've learned not to throw them any more...now that I have to buy my own shit that I'm older, I don't throw them b/c I'd have to pay for another...actually, I've got 5 xbox controllers, but still wouldn't waste one over playing...

Some of the best advice I was given and follow religiously to this day:

Don't worry about shit you can't control. (Bad shit happens, but if there's nothing you can do about it, no use worrying and getting angry, just bad for your health and prevents you from moving forward)

If its going so bad you, exit and chill....you shouldn't be so worked up over a game...there is no penalty for death or real world prize waiting for you at the end of the tunnel. Its for joy and entertainment, and if you aren't having both, then find something else to do with your time.
    D divine1
    D divine1

Post by D divine1 Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:47 pm

when i looked at the subject matter of this topic i instantly thought of 1 of our previous trialists named luke86 ( i think , it was defiantly luke something or other), i dont know if we still have the convo history on what happened with him, but he was the worst Winge Bag i have ever encountered.

STORMTROOPER729
    STORMTROOPER729

Post by STORMTROOPER729 Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:04 am

Hey now that's no way to talk about my son.... Wait that was darth vader, sorry. Carry on.
    gdead65
    gdead65
    GD
    GD

Post by gdead65 Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:25 pm

I would like to start a "KNOCK IT OFF" Campaign:

We do this at work when we see a unsafe work practice: when a unsafe act is in progress we say "KNOCK IT OFF" to the employee. I have heard that the airforce also uses this.

If you hear unproductive chatter on comms say "KNOCK IT OFF"
    riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Good idea, gdead!

We have "Clear the Comms" and "Chatty-Kathy" to use also, but sometimes I just find that what works is that during a particularly long diatribe I abruptly interrupt with a loud "Anyway..., 2 guys about to arm Bravo...."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:04 pm