Death From Above

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
STORMTROOPER729
PR3SIDENT
6 posters

BF3 vs. MWF3 (FPS WW3)?

PR3SIDENT
    PR3SIDENT

BF3 vs. MWF3 (FPS WW3)? Empty BF3 vs. MWF3 (FPS WW3)?

Post by PR3SIDENT Tue May 31, 2011 7:27 am

So, while I myself am now, and always will be more of a battlefield fan... I must say that the next round of First Person Shooter releases scheduled for this fall is going to be one for the record books. This year alone, video game sales have crossed into the tens of billions of dollar in sales, making it the fastest growing, largest source of entertainment on the planet. I wanted to go ahead and talk about this and see your input, because as I was reading today I got pretty excited with a sigh of "FINALLY"

Modern warfare 3 announced today their "Call of Duty Elite" program, I will post the article below of all the announced features, but basically they are bringing back the clan system for MWF3. Is it me or is it a huge sigh of relief to finally see the console getting some clan features back? Why does it seem like HALO 2 was the last game with "Clan Based" features... Why has microsoft themselves not rolled something out yet. For us die-hard clanner and community driven people, as much as I despise IW and Activision-Blizzard, I almost want to thank them for setting this precedent. I can only hope that EA and DICE follow with something equally awesome, if not better for BF3.

here is the article:

By Mike Snider, USA TODAY
    Video game publisher Activision is creating Call of Duty Elite, an online service to let diehard fans elevate their experience with the popular first-person shooter games.

Set to officially launch with the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 on Nov. 8, Elite will have some free basic features for players of the online multiplayer modes of the game, as well as a premium level.
    The most popular Call of Duty games, played on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PCs, let up to 18 players compete in virtual combat online, beyond the standard single-player story and two-person play modes.
    Currently, players organize offline or in online "lobbies" for multiplayer sessions; a smattering of post-match statistics can be viewed. The Web-based Elite service will track all aspects of players' online performance, allow for creation of groups and clans (one of the premium perks) as if on a social network, offer events and prizes, and provide in-depth facts for studying past match strategies.
    Aspects of the service will be available on game consoles, PCs and mobile devices, including smartphones and Apple's iPad.
    "When you have 30 million people playing (Call of Duty games) you have a lot of different tastes," says Robert Bowling of Activision's Infinity Ward studio. "Elite lets players enhance and alter the way they experience the game."
    Activision has sold more than 100 million Call of Duty games, with tens of millions playing 2010's Call of Duty: Black Ops and 2009's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for months after release. When Activision releases more details and begins an Elite trial period this summer, the service will be populated with players' Black Ops stats.
    Analysts have long expected Activision to begin charging for Call of Duty online play because the enormous amount of time spent playing already purchased games online cuts into sales of new games. Activision internal estimates show the average Black Ops player has spent 170 hours with the game online in the six months or so since the game was released.
    "There's been speculation that we are trying to charge for multiplayer. That is not the case," says Jamie Berger, vice president of digital for Activision. "But we know tens of millions are expecting more from us."
    No price has been announced for the service, which Activision has been working on for two years. But Berger says that "for the super-engaged player who already buys (post-release downloadable gameplay maps) and plays nine or 12 months out of the year, we want this to be a no-brainer."
    Consumers will be able to buy the standard Modern Warfare 3 game for an expected $60. But those interested in Elite will be able to buy a higher-priced package that will include the standard game, free access to any downloadable maps and the premium online features.
    Previous games such as Halo and StarCraft have had online data hubs, but those were free and not as impressive as Elite promises to be, says Evan Narcisse of Time.com's Techland. "It's almost like they are starting their own competitive gaming league. It's ambitious, but how much of an added value this is going to be to the average Call of Duty player remains to be seen."

What are some features for both games you hope to see added or removed?
    STORMTROOPER729
    STORMTROOPER729

BF3 vs. MWF3 (FPS WW3)? Empty Re: BF3 vs. MWF3 (FPS WW3)?

Post by STORMTROOPER729 Tue May 31, 2011 7:46 am

If they do something similar in BF3 hopefully they don't do it half-assed or last min add in that will be buggy.

One thing that I loved about RSV 1&2 is the game lobby system they had. It had a host, showed other players pings and weather they had a mic or not. Now I don't know if having dedicated servers helps as far as playing with other people from different counties but it is nice sometimes to play with local players and get the best game with little lag.
    PR3SIDENT
    PR3SIDENT

Post by PR3SIDENT Tue May 31, 2011 1:41 pm

I just wish XBL would roll something out that is based out of the PLATFORM operating system, not leave it up to the game developers to do it in their respected games. Microsoft needs to be driving community based, professional level play, not ignoring it.
    DentedBullet
    DentedBullet

Post by DentedBullet Tue May 31, 2011 11:15 pm

^^ So true. A clan system that spans across all games.
    UnderADyingSun
    UnderADyingSun

Post by UnderADyingSun Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:28 am

STORMTROOPER729 wrote:If they do something similar in BF3 hopefully they don't do it half-assed or last min add in that will be buggy.

One thing that I loved about RSV 1&2 is the game lobby system they had. It had a host, showed other players pings and weather they had a mic or not. Now I don't know if having dedicated servers helps as far as playing with other people from different counties but it is nice sometimes to play with local players and get the best game with little lag.

Word, and we're about due for another don't ya think?

To be honest, developers need to be giving more focus to team oriented play in their games. Some strides are being made, Brink and, eww, Homefront all kind of lend themselves to this. But put bluntly, they will only accomodate what is profitable. If the community, demographic data doesn't support, a financial substantiation I mean, the idea, then we can't truly expect Microsoft to do anything about it.

All I want are dedicated servers and a seperate clan server for the upcoming BF release. I used to play a comp. game called combat arms, very fun but lacking graphically, and they had a seperate clan server setup that allowed for clan only participation in said server. Honestly, as much as I hate the developing company, Nexon, they hit gold and the servers were very organized. It's free to play, I'd recommend CS fans check it out.

KennyMcKillmick
    KennyMcKillmick
    You Killed Kenny!
    You Killed Kenny!

Post by KennyMcKillmick Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:19 am

Combat arms, yeah I played that, it gets hacked to shit
    W0ggie
    W0ggie
    United States
    United States

Post by W0ggie Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:27 am

Activision is just being its usual, greedy self. They market this saying WHOA GUYS LOOK, WE CARE ABOUT YOU!
    But if they really did they would give it away for free, as its just a tool. This entire thing fits perfectly with paying 15 dollars for three maps, which in my opinion is the biggest ripoff in gaming history since ET came out for the 2600.

Fuck Activision and Call of Duty, thats my point of view on this. Shitty game and a shitty company.
    DentedBullet
    DentedBullet

Post by DentedBullet Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:37 am

WOggie you are so right
    PR3SIDENT
    PR3SIDENT

Post by PR3SIDENT Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:01 am

No doubt, I find it blasphemous they would charge for something that improves the experience. I just would like to see a structured system for online communities built into the consoles Operating System.

Here is the video highlighting the "Call of Duty Elite" system that I hope EA rolls something similar too.

http://www.callofduty.com/elite/video

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 am