Death From Above

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

BF2 Modern Combat & XBLA BF1943

UnderADyingSun
    UnderADyingSun

BF2 Modern Combat & XBLA BF1943 Empty BF2 Modern Combat & XBLA BF1943

Post by UnderADyingSun Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 pm

General inquiry to see people's opinions and dislikes of one or the other. I've never tried BF2MC, but am considering picking up a copy to maybe better prepare for the BF3 mechanics. On the note of 1943, I personally love it, but it's a very recent love affair and that game frustrated me for a long time, especially as an aspiring pilot. I can tell you, the ace's are unforgiving and relentless haha, but admittedly I'm guilty of not sharing my airspace with new players even though they don't pose any immediate threat to my flight patterns!

Razz inserts pb and j
    Moliat
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

BF2 Modern Combat & XBLA BF1943 Empty Re: BF2 Modern Combat & XBLA BF1943

Post by Moliat Tue May 03, 2011 2:02 pm

In all honesty I got tired of BF1943 in a day. I've been a fan of all BF games (except BF2142, Heroes and Play4Free), but BF1943 wasn't my cup of tea, sadly.
    reclaimer_117
    reclaimer_117

Post by reclaimer_117 Tue May 03, 2011 3:02 pm

Honestly I love 1943, I played it for a long time when it was released. It died down when BFBC2 was released and my friends all stopped playing it, but I still think its a great game. I still think either BF1942 or BF Vietnam are the best in the series, I honestly dont know which one is better. As for 2142, I never played it excessively, but I think it did a great job of doing what it aimed to do...w/e that was exactly, I cant say. Titan mode was, and still is one of the coolest game modes I have ever played. So yeah, 1943 is win, but I dont think many people still play it.
    UnderADyingSun
    UnderADyingSun

Post by UnderADyingSun Tue May 03, 2011 3:25 pm

Moliat wrote:In all honesty I got tired of BF1943 in a day. I've been a fan of all BF games (except BF2142, Heroes and Play4Free), but BF1943 wasn't my cup of tea, sadly.
    Yea it's certainly different from Bad Company, its mainly the weapons. Everything in BC2 kills lighting fast, but kill wise it's possible to get just as many as you would in a regular BC2 conquest game. For me it's all about vehicle play or spawn killing w/ the garand lol.

reclaimer_117 wrote:Honestly I love 1943, I played it for a long time when it was released. It died down when BFBC2 was released and my friends all stopped playing it, but I still think its a great game. I still think either BF1942 or BF Vietnam are the best in the series, I honestly dont know which one is better. As for 2142, I never played it excessively, but I think it did a great job of doing what it aimed to do...w/e that was exactly, I cant say. Titan mode was, and still is one of the coolest game modes I have ever played. So yeah, 1943 is win, but I dont think many people still play it.
    Lucky for you you got to experience those games in their prime, I'm jealous lol. I dabbed a bit in 2142 and that was my first bf game, it was certainly ambitious and at the time it was the best fps I'd played, next to cod4. Quickly on the note of player base, 1943 has a huge community, you can still find full games in seconds, but its mainly dominated by generals. I wish they hadn't lost support though, I'd heard they we're going to release some Africa campaign maps from the original BF2 game. I don't know why it lost support, the game is amazing and is still selling.
    reclaimer_117
    reclaimer_117

Post by reclaimer_117 Tue May 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Wow seriously, 1943 still has players. I never expected that actually, it was great and all, but I figured people would move on from an XBLA title. And yeah, BF1942 in its prime was, well, amazing lol. I know that DICE still supports it because they recently had a giant community wide announcement for some giant gameplay event featuring some apparently amazing mod. I kind of feel like digging up my old games and playing them now.

Also as for the whole 'too many generals' thing, I dont believe it was especially difficult in 1943, and it never added any weapons or anything, the only thing I would be concerned about would be skill levels. Because I know for example if I try and play Counter Strike sometimes, I get rap3d so fast I can't even scream.
    cmbtking
    cmbtking

Post by cmbtking Tue May 03, 2011 5:15 pm

1943 was fun for a while but got kinda old. i never get tired of the coral sea planes only mode though lol

as for BF2MC...i only played it briefly because it was the first battlefield game i played off of the PC and it just didn't do battlefield justice, so i stopped playing.

im gonna say battlefield vietnam for the PC was by far the best in the series.

1942 was beast. and with all the mods that came out for it i played it for well over 5 years. BF1942: DC is one of my all time favorite games
    UnderADyingSun
    UnderADyingSun

Post by UnderADyingSun Tue May 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Yea I kind of got that sense, but I may still try it, if only for the boost in veteran status then. I know there's no comparison between 42 and 43, but the planes keep me coming back. AirSuperiority is fun but the points just aren't enough for me. I like tackling ground troops, tanks, boats, jeeps, AA guns, and other fighters. It gets really intense sometimes because you know after you've completely destroyed the teams vehicles and killed a few too many groundpounders they're all gunning for you lol.

I'm wondering how DICE is going to balance the jets in BF3. They gave the helicopters a good nerf in Vietnam for BC2, small arms fire should do damage IMO, but seriously, speaking from the 43 perspective it's a little ridiculous how a single plane can control an entire match, fun but still absurd. Was 1942 like this?
    reclaimer_117
    reclaimer_117

Post by reclaimer_117 Tue May 03, 2011 6:58 pm

The thing with 1943 is that planes are very limited, this makes it so that a good pilot can eliminate the first 2 planes and then just camp the other planes when they are about to take off. On top of that AA guns had a mug shorter range I believe in 1943 so it makes it harder to take down planes if they fly up high.

In 1942 I rarely saw severe cases where a single person dominated the skies. Most maps with planes had at least 4 planes per team and every airfield was outfitted with a crap ton of AA guns. Basically planes had such a wide variety of uses that if you lost superiority you would lose the match. In 1943 I always felt as though
    planes were only useful in the beginning of the game to kill transport boats or to take down the air raids, as they we're not that effective against vehicles or infantry. At least not to the effect that they were in 1942.

Plane balancing is an issue that will most likely bug DICE for months after release. Because of destruction in the maps planes will now take on a whole new role, most likely it will be someting along the lines of 'Building Rapers'. This could pose a huge problem to snipers and defenders of objectives because there buildings will be a prime target for giant bombs. Ok im going to stop typing this now because im typing on a phone and its annoying as hell. Sorry a out typos and stuff but again...im typing on a phone.
    UnderADyingSun
    UnderADyingSun

Post by UnderADyingSun Tue May 03, 2011 10:15 pm

Your grammar was good dude lol.

With respect to 43 I have to differ. I fly whole rounds in the plane usually. If you're ever bored w/ BC you should join a game with me. With a keen eye and good use of the third person buttons you can have total map awareness. I even spot unmarked infantry regularly, especially if they're dumb enough to fire at my plane, lol that muzzle flash just begs for them to have me turn around and burst 'em! Tank bombing, although kind of an art form, is still very powerful. One bomb and they're done, and a good bombing run taking out the enemies tanks is a game changer. The rest, AA, Jeeps, Boats can just be main gunned.

The situation you present with bf3 is troubling, and now teams of good pilots will just gang up, although my primary role will always be to fly if it's availible. They should just make it more difficult to actually fly to balance this. I mean, the heli's are way easy to fly in BC2, a little harder in vietnam but still a small learning curve. The planes in 43 too, easy to pick up, just hard to kill with as you have to lead your shots.
    Also, what I think they'll do is probably have the buildings a bit more reinforced. For some reason I can just see alot of steel structures in the mp, but I really hope the environments can withstand a little more punishment from bombs.
    riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh Tue May 03, 2011 10:31 pm

UnderADyingSun wrote:The situation you present with bf3 is troubling, and now teams of good pilots will just gang up, although my primary role will always be to fly if it's availible
    Do we even know for sure that there will be planes? And what their impact will be?

UnderADyingSun wrote:They should just make it more difficult to actually fly to balance this. I mean, the heli's are way easy to fly in BC2, a little harder in vietnam but still a small learning curve.
    Are you kidding me? I find the Huey WAAAAY easier to fly - very nimble. On Hardcore (I actually do better because of the no spotting, and your heli shots waste infantry before they damage you much) I've pwned entire enemy teams just by popping in and out of the tree canopy. If you fly it like any of the BC2 attack choppers with a standard circle-strafe, you're quickly toasted by infantry fire, but by fluttering around up and down and in and out of the trees (but still moving fast, not hovering) you can keep them from damaging you much while you waste 'em with your rockets. Use Armor - in fact, LOAD the Huey up with guys with Armor spec on and you're nearly invincible, especially with Engineers repairing in the back...
    riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh Tue May 03, 2011 10:37 pm

If I get to fly through the urban streets like I do the Huey through the Tree Canopy on Vietnam, then look out!

Even on BC2, everybody's so used to standard circle-strafing that when I pull my 'Downtown Maneuver', as I like to call it, it almost always fools 'em. I must be one of the only few who actually fly the damned things right on in through enemy fire and out the other side. While they're busy trying to get me, my troops bail and arm the M-Comms and we have both of them in mere seconds. Ask around, you'll see.

And sure, of course, I get shot down sometimes. But no more I think than those doing the predictable circle pattern, and at least when we bail we're over the base and not far away.

Sorry, I guess I've digressed off topic...
    UnderADyingSun
    UnderADyingSun

Post by UnderADyingSun Tue May 03, 2011 10:47 pm

Yes it has been confirmed that there will be jets, actually at the end of one of the fault line trailers you get to see the cockpit, looks surreal!

Oh and I do agree about the huey's, its just that extra mobility can be hard to adapt to if you're new, the reg BC2 heli's are much slower in comparison. Also I don't mean to suggest that piloting those doesn't require skill, its just the actually learning to fly them isn't too bad.

See, i'm learning to seperate so these posts aren't an eyestrain xD. But I wasn't even aware that the Specializations stacked with players! No wonder the Huey tanks so hard when its full of people haha! Well, if I gain acceptance into this clan, or atleast a few of us FR eachother and play occasionally I'd love to get in the gunner seat behind someone who manuevers as you've described. I don't have much experience with the choppers in reg BC2 as my gunners are usually pretty worthless, and moderate experience with the Huey's, only having 150 kills or so with it I think.

Btw dude, I don't know how, but I have your dogtags lol. I rarely knife Very Happy and I'm always on the receiving end. Darn those " Modern Warfare masters". Hey do you think you'll be able to drop shot in bf3? Part of me hopes, that was my bread and butter in CoD, and finally I can reply to lightweight shotgunners with my favorited smg's. Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE shoguns in this game.
    Moliat
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Battlefield Vietnam is still my favourite. I remember when Adun/Rde3zy and I played it together, we would fly Hueys in formation playing "Ride of the Valkyries" synchronized, watching another mate drop napalm far up ahead and a friendly troop transport drop people into a town square on a map designed after the "Apocalypse Now!" scene.

Good times.
    cmbtking
    cmbtking

Post by cmbtking Wed May 04, 2011 9:08 am

Moliat wrote:Battlefield Vietnam is still my favourite. I remember when Adun/Rde3zy and I played it together, we would fly Hueys in formation playing "Ride of the Valkyries" synchronized, watching another mate drop napalm far up ahead and a friendly troop transport drop people into a town square on a map designed after the "Apocalypse Now!" scene.

Good times.

flying the Huey's battlefield Vietnam are some of my fave memories of battlefield...and flying the Chinooks with someone in a tank being carried by the cable...that was always fun...lol

i preferred flying to surfin bird...haha
    UnderADyingSun
    UnderADyingSun

Post by UnderADyingSun Wed May 04, 2011 11:20 pm

You guys sure know how to make the console newbs feel odd manned out! Well no worries, we'll hopefully have a new and shared, REAL, battlefield experience w/ one another upon release of the upcoming BF3! Do you guys play conquest at all? I think it will be good practice as I assume Rush mode will be non existent in the upcoming game?
    riafomh
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh Wed May 04, 2011 11:41 pm

What? No Rush mode? No 'objective based' combat system?

I mean, sure, I guess Conquest is 'objective based', sort of, but not in the 'get into the compound and take out Osama' kind of way... (which is what I prefer).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 am